3 Quick and healthy recipes ready in under 30 minutes
January 25, 2019
Looking for healthy dinner ideas? Make one of our easy healthy dinner recipes ready in under 30 minutes.
Add vibrant peas, salty bacon and sweet red peppers to your frittata for a quick low-calorie midweek meal.
- spinach 80g
- frozen peas 75g
- eggs 4
- olive oil 2 tsp
- streaky bacon 2 rashers, thinly sliced
- garlic 1 clove, thinly sliced
- red chilli ½, deseeded and thinly sliced
- roasted red peppers from a jar 2, chopped
- mature cheddar 35g, grated
- rocket dressed, to serve
- STEP 1Put the spinach into a colander and pour over 1 /2 a kettle of just-boiled water to wilt. Leave until cool enough to handle then squeeze as much water as possible. Tip into a small blender or food processor.
- STEP 2Put the peas into a small bowl, pour over enough just-boiled water to cover, leave for 2-3 minutes, then drain. Add to the spinach in the blender with one of the eggs and lots of seasoning. Whizz until completely smooth, then add in the remaining eggs and pulse until combined.
- STEP 3Heat the grill to medium-high. Heat the oil in a small non-stick, ovenproof frying pan and fry the bacon for 5 minutes until crisp. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for 2 minutes, then tip in the spinach mixture. Cook gently for a minute until the bottom is set, then sprinkle the red peppers over the top. Cook for another few minutes until the bottom is lightly golden. Sprinkle with the cheddar and put under the grill for 2-3 minutes until cooked through and golden on top. Cut into wedges and serve with the dressed rocket.
Mexican salad tortilla bowls
- spray oil
- flour tortillas 4 medium
- black beans 400g tin, rinsed and drained
- red onion ½, finely diced
- plum tomatoes 2, ripe
- avocado 1, diced
- red pepper ½, diced
- Little Gem 1, cut into chunky pieces
- red chilli ½, finely chopped
- limes 2, 1 zested and 2 juiced
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tsp
- sea salt flakes
- coriander a bunch, leaves torn
- cress 1 punnet, snipped
- Tabasco a few dashes (optional)
- STEP 1 Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Turn a large muffin tin upside down and spray lightly with oil. Push a tortilla into the gaps between the muffin holes, to make a bowl shape. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and brown at the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- STEP 2 Put the beans, red onion, tomatoes, avocado, red pepper, Little Gem and chilli in a large bowl and toss with the lime juice and zest, olive oil and some sea salt flakes. Tear in the coriander, add the cress and toss lightly again.
- STEP 3 Spoon between the tortilla bowls and serve with Tabasco, if you like.
Orzo risotto with cavolo nero, peas and chilli
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tsp
- onion ½, finely diced
- garlic 2 cloves, sliced
- dried chilli flakes ½ tsp
- orzo pasta 150g
- vegetable stock 450ml, hot
- cavolo nero 100g, stems removed and cut into long pieces
- frozen peas 100g
- soft cheese 1 tbsp
- vegetarian parmesan 15g, finely grated, plus a little extra to serve (optional)
- STEP 1 Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt. Cook gently for 5 minutes or until soft. Tip in the pasta and stir so every piece is coated in oil. Add the vegetable stock a ladleful at a time, stirring in between and adding more once absorbed. After 5 minutes, add the cavolo nero. Cook for a further 5 minutes and, once the orzo and cavolo nero are tender, add the peas and some seasoning for a final 2 minutes.
- STEP 2 Stir through the soft cheese and the parmesan, and serve with a little extra parmesan, if you like.